Tuesday, October 27, 2009

A moment with the fam.

The other day I shared a moment with a member of my tica family. This woman and I are on very superficial terms that include: "Buenos dias, hasta luego, como amenecio, and buenas noches." I actually don't know her name or her relation to the family. I think she's my "dad's" sister and her name is Virginia but I wouldn't swear on that. Anyway, sidenote - I love her style. She always wears cute headbands, great sweaters and mustard-colored shirts with grandma frills.

So one night I was sitting at the dinner table by myself and there was a huge platano (big banana) on the table. "Virginia" picked it up to move it and it fell out of her hands and banged the table with the most ferocious noise. For some reason it struck me as hilarious and decided to tell her it was like her weapon. Virginia, in turn, thought that was great and we both died laughing. Like a real laugh. I'm laughing just thinking about it. So she started pretending like she was shooting her brother with it and told the whole family that I called it a weapon.

So, I experienced my first inside joke with the "great aunt" and my first real joke in Spanish that even I appreciated.

1 comment:

Emily Fisher said...

Just start dreaming in Spanish and you'll practically be fluent! That is so exciting and so wonderful to hear! And laughing. I'm just so glad that you got to laugh...really laugh. That makes me happy.

Miss you and love you.
xoxoxox