Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The shot put type?

Today I updated the "write something about yourself" box on my Facebook page. I don't know why I thought about this incident recently but I chuckled to myself when I thought of the time in 1992 that we went to Colorado for a....homeschooling conference. Among valuable workshops that my parents must have attended, there were also competitions for the kids. The things that stand out to me about this trip are:

1) My Mom's "snowy" pantsuit (which she also wore while shoveling snow this year in 2010). (Check back soon for a real photo!)
2) Feeling proud of myself for doing the high jump really well (for a 9-year-old).
3) Learning to "ski" down a rubber mountain that had dish soap on it.

And finally, getting to the whole updated section on FB...
4) Failing at throwing the shot put and being told I wasn't the "shot put type."

In the moment when I twirled around a couple times with the metal ball and tried to throw it, or "put it" if you will, I realized I was going to fail. The metal ball fell inches away from me. When the person judging tried to encourage me with exclamations like, "You're the runner type! Don't worry about not being the shot put type!" all I could feel was devastation that I couldn't throw the metal ball. In hindsight, I'm glad I finally got some closure on that situation. I occasionally run into these things as an adult. ie: singing, pottery, arts and crafts...but it's ok. I can try things as long as I don't mind failing sometimes.

1 comment:

rebecca said...

i am loving that image. remember our worries at the Y about being out of proportion?